HEARTWORM DISEASE: This mosquito-transmitted disease can be fatal to your dog. In areas that have a year-round mosquito problem it is recommended that dogs be kept on a heartworm preventative throughout the year. After having your dog tested for heartworms by your veterinarian, ask about heartworm preventatives, available in chewable or pill form and given daily or monthly.
HOUSING: Be sure to provide proper shelter for your pets. If yours is an indoor pet, his bed or crate should be kept in a warm, draft-free area, preferably elevated slightly off the floor. If your pet is kept outdoors, provide a warm insulated pet house or shelter. The house should be elevated enough so that moisture cannot accumulate inside. If possible, provide a "door" (perhaps of canvas) to keep out the winter winds. If your pet is in a pen, you might block the wind and water with bales of straw and stretch canvas over the top of the pen. If the wind chill or other weather conditions become severe, bring your pet inside.
FROSTBITE: Remove ice and snow from your pet's paws and coat at once. Frostbitten skin may turn reddish, white or gray, and it may be scaly or sloughing. If you suspect frostbite, take your pet to a warm place immediately. Thaw out frostbitten areas slowly by applying warm, moist towels that are changed frequently. Continue until the affected areas become flushed. Contact your veterinarian as soon as possible; he/she will probably want to evaluate the seriousness of the condition.
SNOW REMOVAL SALT: Some substances produced to melt ice and snow have low to moderate toxicity, depending on the ingredients and amount ingested. Read the labels and take necessary precautions. Keep these products stored in tight containers out of your pet's and children's reach and be sure to remove salt from your pet's paws immediately
ANTIFREEZE: Even a very small amount of antifreeze can be fatal. Precautions are necessary with all antifreeze products on the market. Read labels and warnings carefully. Thoroughly clean up spills at once. Keep containers closed tightly and store them where pets cannot get to them.
FOOD: Staying warm requires extra calories, so feed your pet accordingly when the temperature drops. Talk to your veterinarian for advice on feeding your pet.
WATER: Always have fresh, clean water available for your pet. If your pet is kept outdoors, be sure to check his water frequently since it may freeze.
The holidays can create special dangers for your pets. Here are a few tips to help keep your pets safe during this special time of year.
Mistletoe - Very toxic, all parts, especially the berries.
Holly - Moderate to very toxic, especially the berries and leaves.
Poinsettia - Leaves and stems low in toxicity.
Christmas Greens such as Balsam, Juniper, Cedar, Pine and Fir - All parts of these plants have a low level of toxicity.
Keep toxic plants out of your pet's and children's reach.
Bubbling Lights - Moderate to lethal toxicity, depending on the amount of fluid (methylene chloride) inhaled or ingested.
Fireplace Colors (fire salts) - Moderate toxicity; symptoms are gastrointestinal irritation with vomiting and a variety of other manifestations, including convulsions.
Angel Hair (spun glass) - Low toxicity; can cause irritation of the eyes, skin and gastrointestinal tract.
Christmas Tree Preservative Solution - Low toxicity, depending upon formulation and quantity ingested.
Snow Sprays and Snow Flock - Low toxicity, dry particles are inert; however, toxicity from inhalation can occur if sprayed directly in mouth.
Styrofoam - Low toxicity; can cause choking from mechanical obstruction.
Christmas Tree Ornaments - Non-toxic, but mechanical irritation or obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract can occur if ingested.
Icicles (tinsel) - Non-toxic, however intestinal obstruction and choking are potential problems.
Snow Scenes - Toxicity may come from organisms possibly in the water, most notably Salmonella.
warnings on all decorations and take the necessary precautions to
protect your pet.
GIFTS AND MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS
Button Battery (disk battery) - Caustic, potentially high toxicity depending upon the position of the battery in gastrointestinal tract.
Aftershave Lotion, Colognes, Perfumes, Alcoholic Beverages - Ethanol in various concentrations is moderately toxic depending upon the amount ingested. The high concentrations of essential oils in true perfumes are especially toxic.
Plastic Model Cement - Moderate toxicity.
Epoxy Adhesive - Uncured hardener: moderate to high toxicity. Uncured resins: low toxicity, primarily irritation and sensitization.
Adhesives, Super Glue - Low toxicity, most difficulty occurs when eyelids become bonded together.
Artists' Supplies: Crayons, Felt Tip Markers, Pencils, Water-based Paints - Low toxicity; however, may cause more than a mild mucous membrane and gastrointestinal irritation.
Petroleum-based Paints - Low toxicity; primary concern is possibility of aspiration.
Toys - Avoid toys with parts small enough to be pulled off and swallowed and toys with toxic materials, etc. Use same precautions as with children.
Chocolate - Avoid candies and foods made up of or with chocolate. This is highly toxic to a dog's system.
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned,
you should call your veterinarian or you can call the NAPCC.
(NAPCC stands for National Animal Poison Control Center)
Any questions that we can help you with, please feel free to contact us anytime.
Back to Branford's Table of Contents
Copyright © 1998 Branford Miniature Schnauzers
Presented to you
- Full Service Web Page Design & Consulting Group -